This recipe for Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga has been one of my obsessions lately–especially for busy mornings when I don’t have time to chop stuff to throw into a slow cooker or busy evenings when I need dinner done in 15 minutes. This chicken has the best flavor and falls apart when cooked low and slow all day. This recipe hardly requires any chopping, just a rough chop of the onion before whizzing all the ingredients (except for the bay leaves and chicken) in the blender to create this sauce.
(affiliate links below)
About Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
Chicken Tinga is a tomato and spicy pepper based Mexican sauce with shredded chicken. Traditionally, Chicken Tinga is by making a sauce of roasted tomatoes, tomatillos and onions before tossing it with cooked chicken. I’m taking some short cuts in my recipe, making this a super easy weeknight meal, which is the name of the game this time of year! I use tomato puree, fresh onion, chipotle peppers, and white wine vinegar to provide some tang. Some spices like cumin, smoked paprika, coriander and oregano add more smoky and bright flavors to this dish.
I love this Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga because it requires like almost no time. I really don’t like trying to get a slow cooker meal going that requires tons of chopping, measuring, and sautéing in the morning as I’m rushing out the door. Since all the sauce ingredients are thrown in a blender, there is hardly any prep. All you have to do is blend, dump, and go! When you come home you will be welcomed with amazing aromas of tomato-y spicy goodness. Or make this in the Instant Pot the same way: blend, dump, set to cook for 10 minutes, quick release, and you will be ready to eat in no time!
Ingredients in Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
- Tomato Puree: Tomato puree is the base of Tinga sauce. I like the pure tomato-y flavor of the tomato puree.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch will help thicken the sauce so it clings to the chicken.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce: To add a bit of heat and some smoky flavor!
- Spices: Very necessary to add some more flavor. The spices (cumin and smoked paprika) give it some smoky flavor while the dried oregano makes it a little earthy.
- White Wine Vinegar: White wine vinegar helps balance the smoky flavors and gives a bit of acidic tang.
- Chicken: Necessary ingredient for Chicken Tinga 🙂
- Toppings: Whatever you want to serve this with! I like to make tacos, burrito bowls, and nachos with this Chicken Tinga and top them with chopped cilantro, pickled red onions, fresh avocado, and goat or cojita cheese.
How to Use Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
This Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga is so versatile! Here are some ways to use it:
- Cauliflower rice bowls
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Grain bowls
- Burrito bowls with Pinto Beans
Did you try this recipe for Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga?
If you did, please do let me know in the comments! I hope you love this recipe for easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga as much as I do.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
This Chicken Tinga has the best flavor smoky, spicy, tomato-y flavor and falls apart when cooked low and slow all day. Use it to make tacos, burritos, etc!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 10.75 ounce can tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 2 bay leaves
- Add all ingredients except chicken and bay leaves to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add sauce to slow cooker with chicken and bay leaves. Stir to coat chicken.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8.
- Shred chicken, return to sauce, and serve.
- Add all ingredients except chicken and bay leaves to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add sauce to Instant Pot with chicken and bay leaves. Stir to coat chicken.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release pressure when Instant Pot is done cooking.
- Shred chicken, return to sauce, and serve.
Recipe inspired by Pinch of Yum.
Keywords: Chicken Tinga, tacos
Like this post? Pin it using the image below!
P.S. This blog post contains amazon affiliate links which means that I earn a commission if you make purchases through the links above. This is at no extra cost or work for you. I only recommend products I use and truly enjoy. Thank you for supporting India from Indiana!