Sometimes the simplest recipes are some of the best. Let me introduce you to this Sautéed Chili Lime Kale, which has recently became my favorite way to enjoy kale–aside from stuffing kale in a corn tortilla and calling it a taco.
About Sautéed Chili Lime Kale
To be 1000% transparent, I hardly ever cook with kale. Its one of those leafy greens that I tend to forget about unless its in soup or baked into kale chips. Since making Sweet Potato Kale Tacos with Garlicky Cilantro Mojo Sauce, I’ve been looking for more ways to incorporate this leafy veggie into more of our daily meals and this Sautéed Chili Lime Kale is one of my favorite ways.
Sautéed kale really is a beautiful transformation. The leaves, originally rough and dark green, are transformed into an almost silky texture and become the most beautiful shade of bright green. I like to lightly season the kale with fresh garlic, chili powder and fresh lime juice, but you could use any spices. I think smoky cumin and paprika would also be an interesting combination. However you season the kale, do be sure to remove the leaves from the tough stems, otherwise you’ll feel as if you’re eating cooked straw–not a pleasant experience!
Ingredients in Sautéed Chili Lime Kale
This recipe is super simple and requires only a handful of ingredients:
- Kale: Because you need kale to make this Sautéed Chili Lime Kale 🙂
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps flavor and cook the kale. Also, fat soluble vitamins found in kale (such as vitamin A and vitamin K) are best absorbed by your body when cooked with a healthy fat, such as olive oil.
- Garlic: I love how garlic flavors the oil as it cooks and help round out the chili lime flavors.
- Spices: Just chili powder and salt, for flavor
- Lime Juice: Adding lime juice gives it a little zing and adds some vibrant flavors into this Sautéed Chili Lime Kale.
Uses for Sautéed Chili Lime Kale
While I think the flavors in this Sautéed Chili Lime Kale go especially well with Mexican flavors, you can serve this with anything. Here are some ideas:
- Chicken Tinga
- Use Sautéed Chili Lime Kale to make quesadillas
- Fried eggs for a healthy meal
- In a bowl with Pinto Beans, Quick Pickled Red Onions, and an egg
- Sweet Potatoes stuffed with Sautéed Chili Lime Kale and black beans
- Jalapeño Black Bean Soup
- Serve alongside grilled chicken or fish
Did you try this recipe for Sautéed Chili Lime Kale?
If you did, please do let me know in the comments and let me know what you served with it! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do.Print
Sautéed Chili Lime Kale
Fresh kale is sautéed with fresh garlic, chili powder, and lime juice for an easy and delicious side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 - 4 1x
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches kale, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat and cook garlic until soft.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup water, 2 tablespoons lime juice, chili powder, and salt. Add chopped kale to the skillet along with the water mixture. Cover and cook for about 3-5 minutes until kale has dramatically reduced in size.
- Remove cover and cook until kale is still bright green but has reached desired doneness. Drizzle remaining lime juice on kale before serving.
Keywords: sautéed kale, chili lime kale, sautéed chili lime kale
Like this post? Pin it using the image below!