(affiliate links below)
This is it. Asparagus with Spring Pea Puree is THE ultimate spring recipe. And I think it’s safe to say that this is my favorite spring recipe of 2019.
About Asparagus with Spring Pea Puree
Who knew asparagus, sweet peas, and loads of fresh herbs would be such a grand combination? Did you know? I didn’t! But I now know that asparagus + peas + herbs is one fantastic combination. I’m not a huge fan of asparagus (also it is a super weird looking vegetable?!?) and I feel like people either are 10000% love with asparagus or 10000% hate this green veggie. There isn’t much middle ground when it comes to asparagus. I, however, am firmly in that middle ground. I like it, but I probably won’t order it at a restaurant or cook it at home. So basically if it’s served to me I’ll eat it.
It was time to change my opinions about asparagus and this recipe is a game changer! Asparagus is lightly cooked in a skillet with some olive oil and doused in a Spring Pea Puree. This Spring Pea Puree is like out of this world delicious. This incredible puree is packed with tons of herbs like mint, dill, and basil. It’s slightly sweet, bright, and SO fresh. I love it. So much! So much that I can’t type grammatically correct sentences! The Spring Pea Puree also so light and I can’t wait to try it with scallops or seared cod. I like to top the Asparagus with Spring Pea Puree with salty feta or creamy goat cheese for a lil’ something extra. And also because I am addicted to cheese and goat cheese and feta are my favorites. If you are vegan, don’t like cheese, or just don’t eat cheese, then just leave it off and you won’t miss out on any flavor. Or substitute with your favorite plant based cheese if that’s more your style!
How to Make Asparagus with Spring Pea Puree
There’s two components to this dish, the asparagus and the puree. Both are super easy to make. Here’s how you’ll make this Asparagus with Spring Pea Puree:
- Sauté the asparagus. We’re going to use a little bit of olive oil here to sauté the asparagus over medium high heat in a large skillet. Ideally the asparagus should be in a single layer, but if it over laps a little thats okay too. You sauté for about 5 -8 minutes until the asparagus turns a bright shade of green and is tender.
- Boil the peas. While the asparagus is cooking, bring a few cups of water to a boil and cook the sweet peas for about 3 minutes until soft but not mushy. Reserve some of the pea water before draining to use in the pea puree.
- Make the pea puree. I’ve made this with both a blender and a food processor and while you can use either, I much prefer using a blender because it adds air into the puree and gives it more of a luxurious, velvety texture. But if you only have a food processor, that will work too! You will blend or process the boiled (but not mushy!) peas with the fresh dill, mint, and basil until a paste begins to form. Then add the salt, lemon juice, and slowly stream in the reserved water until a thick sauce comes together.
- Top and serve! That’s it! Place the asparagus on a platter, top with the spring pea puree, sprinkle with cheese (if using) and enjoy!
Did You Try This Recipe for Asparagus with Spring Pea Puree?
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know in the comments! I love to hear how recipes turn out in your kitchen. This recipe has so many great spring flavors!
Shop this PostPrint
Asparagus with Spring Pea Puree
Tender asparagus is smothered with an herby spring pea puree and topped with tangy feta cheese. This side is healthy, vibrant, and packed with spring flavors!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings as a side 1x
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, I use pink Himalayan salt
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil, asparagus, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté until asparagus is bright green and tender, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- While asparagus is cooking, bring 3 cups salted water to a boil in a small sauce pan. Add frozen peas and cook for 3 minutes until cooked but not mushy. Reserve 3/4 cup of the water and drain the peas.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the peas, basil, mint, dill, lemon juice, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt until a stiff paste is formed. While the blender or food processor is running, slowly drizzle in the water until a smooth sauce is formed. This may take 1/4 – 3/4 cup of water depending on the desired consistency (I prefer to use 1/2 cup of water). Blend until sauce is smooth, roughly 3 – 4 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Arrange the asparagus on a platter, top with the spring pea puree (there may be extra) and sprinkle with feta before serving. Enjoy!
Make it vegan/dairy free: Omit the cheese for an equally flavorful vegan/dairy free side.
Mix it up: Substitute goat cheese for the feta cheese.
Like this post? Pin it using the image below!
P.S. This blog post contains amazon affiliate links which means that I earn a commission if you make purchases through the links above. This is at no extra cost or work for you. I only recommend products I use and truly enjoy. Thank you for supporting India from Indiana!