Last Updated on by
If I had to choose a type of cuisine as my favorite, it would be Mexican food. I love the spicy flavors, (typically) wholesome ingredients, and how comforting yet versatile Mexican food is–seriously, isn’t a warming Mexican soup the best thing to eat when it’s cold and rainy out? And nothing beats tacos and margaritas on a beautiful summer day.
(affiliate links below)
The one downside of making Mexican food at home is that some dishes can take a lot of time. If you’re making beans from scratch, soaking alone takes at least 8 hours. Enter food blogger Emily Sunwell Vidaurri’s new cookbook: Amazing Mexican Favorites with your Instant Pot: 80 Tacos, Burritos, Fajitas and Other Flavor-Packed Recipes. Emily and her husband, Rudy Vidaurri, have created over 80 authentic Mexican recipes that are all made in the Instant Pot. We’ve had an Instant Pot for about two years by now and in all honesty it still intimidates me! I use it pretty often for cooking chicken and frozen salmon, but am excited to learn how to use it more with this cookbook. Emily’s directions are clear and concise. She even uses the Instant Pot to bake cakes!
Amazing Mexican Favorites with your Instant Pot features 80+ recipes over six categories:
- Meat and Seafood Meals
- Tamales and Enchiladas
- Soups and Stews
- Rice, Beans, and Sides
- Sweet Treats; and
Want to know the best part about this cookbook? All recipes are gluten free and have options to be refined sugar free–including the desserts which is something I always try to do in my own cooking. I can’t wait to try her recipes. I especially have my eyes on the fish tacos, chicken fajitas and cinnamon cheesecake recipes!
The recipe below is for the Chicken Fajitas recipe from Amazing Mexican Favorites with your Instant Pot. I love this fajita recipe because you can customize it for your family by serving with corn, flour, or grain free tortillas. Or forego the tortillas and use lettuce cups or use the chicken fajitas to make a salad!
Chicken Fajitas from Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp 28 g butter, ghee or avocado oil
- 1½ lbs 680 g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- ½ cup 120 ml chicken broth
- ¼ cup 4 g chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- 5 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 small red bell pepper stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 small green or yellow bell pepper stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 russet potato peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 small tomato seeded and diced
- 1½ tsp 4 g sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup 60 ml fresh lime juice
Optional Toppings and Fixings
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Lemon or lime juice
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Warmed tortillas gluten-free corn, grain-free, etc.
- Add the healthy fat of your choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” When the fat has melted, add the chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the browned chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the broth to deglaze the Instant Pot. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the cilantro, onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeños, potato, tomato, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, lime juice and chicken, then stir to coat the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam-release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” button and set for 5 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Using an oven mitt, open the steam valve. If there is any steam left over, allow it to release until the silver dial drops, then carefully open the lid.
- Serve immediately with your favorite fajita toppings and fixings.
Note: I received a copy of this book for my honest review, all thoughts are my own, and have not influenced my review.
Shop This Post
Photos and recipe courtesy of Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri.
P.S. This blog post contains amazon affiliate links which means that I earn a commission if you make purchases through the links above. This is at no extra cost or work for you. I only recommend products I use and truly enjoy. Thank you for supporting India from Indiana!