Last Updated on by
Saucy, kinda spicy, healthy, and so delicious, these low carb Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps have it all and take about 30 minutes to get on the table!
About Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
I’m having a major moment with lettuce wraps right now. I keep thinking of everything I can stick in a lettuce leaf and call it dinner. Ground turkey with taco fixings? Check. Shawarma spiced chicken with hummus and tabbouli? Ugh, so good!! And my favorite lettuce wrap obsession right now are these Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps. They’re definitely made to eat with your hands and you will absolutely end up with saucey fingers, but that is a small price to pay for something so tasty. These Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps have an asian twist to them and use lots of fresh ginger, garlic, onion and the sauce is loosely based on my Spicy Peanut Sauce, but has slightly different flavors.
This recipe for Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps are quick and easy, taking about 30 minutes total to make. Leftovers actually keep surprisingly well, too! I like to store the chicken and carrots together and eat it cold in the lettuce leafs. Carrots are a great addition to these lettuce wraps and add some texture and crunch so I highly recommend placing a bed of julienned carrots on the lettuce leafs before adding the chicken. You can also use shredded cabbage or cooked rice noodles if you prefer!
How to Make Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Okay! Lets get to it. Here is how you make these Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps in 4 easy steps:
- Cook the vegetables and chicken. The first step is to sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger in some coconut oil until the onions are slightly soft. Then add the mushrooms and cook for another few minutes until they’re cooked before adding the chopped chicken thighs. The onions, garlic and ginger will help season the chicken slightly while cooking.
- Make the peanut sauce. Making the peanut sauce can’t be any easier and it is such a great way to add delicious flavor. While the chicken is doing it’s thing in the skillet, add all the peanut sauce ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Once blended, slowly add in some water until it reaches the desired consistency. Give the peanut sauce a taste and adjust the seasonings with…
- lime juice for tang
- honey for sweetness
- chili paste for heat (I suggest starting with 1 tablespoon and increasing as desired. I typically use 2 tablespoons because we like a little spice!)
- tamari/soy sauce or fish sauce for savory umami flavors
- Julienne, grate, or spiralize the carrots. I looooove how the shredded carrots add a bit of texture, sweetness, and make these Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps a little bit healthier. To shred the carrots, I use this handheld julienne peeler. You can also grate the carrots on a box grater, spiralize them with a spiralizer, or julienne them with a knife. I also love to buy pre-shredded carrots from the grocery store as a short cut.
- Prepare the lettuce wraps. Pile up butter lettuce leaves with the shredded carrots, shredded cabbage (if using), and chicken. Drizzle with some additional peanut sauce if desired and sprinkle with fresh green onions and a squeeze of lime! If you’re using a smaller lettuce leaf, layer two or three lettuce leaves for your lettuce wraps.
More Favorite Recipes
If you love this recipe for Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps, I think you’ll like some of these other recipes:
- Vietnamese Noodles with Spicy Peanut Chicken
- Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Sweet Potato and Kale Tacos with Garlicky Cilantro Mojo Sauce
- Tequila Lime Chicken Tacos with Black Bean Paste
- Chicken Tinga Tacos
Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 8 ounce mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Peanut Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari/soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chili paste like Sambal Oelek, adjust amount according to taste
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 4 large carrots shredded or spiralized
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Green onions sliced (optional)
For the Chicken
Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes until onion becomes soft. Add mushrooms, and cook for an additional 3 minutes until they reduce in size and soften.
Add the diced chicken thighs to the skillet and season with the salt and pepper. Cook for 6 - 9 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Once chicken is cooked, remove skillet from heat.
For the Peanut Sauce
Add all ingredients from the Peanut Sauce category into a blender or food processor. Blend until a smooth paste forms, adding water to thin to desired consistency. Adjust for taste, adding more chili paste for heat, honey for sweetness or fish sauce or tamari for savory umami.
Add about half of the sauce to the skillet, tossing to coat the chicken and vegetables. Transfer the remaining sauce to a small bowl for serving. Thin with additional water if necessary to be able to drizzle with a spoon.
For the Lettuce Wraps
Stuff each butter lettuce leaf with some of the shredded carrots and chicken mixture. Drizzle on additional peanut sauce, sprinkle with green onions, and squeeze with lime if desired.
HELPFUL RECIPE INFORMATION
All recipes are tested and developed in my home kitchen. Unless otherwise stated, I always use extra virgin olive oil and this Himalayan pink salt in my recipes. All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven and an electric range.
DID YOU TRY THIS Recipe?
I hope you like these Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps! If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it below and let me know in the comments what you think! You can also mention @indiafromindiana or tag #indiafromindiana on Instagram so I can see what you’re making in the kitchen!